Mount de Sales Academy is located in Catonsville, Maryland where the campus occupies 10.3 acres with five distinct campus buildings, three of which have been in use since the school opened in 1852. Visitors to the campus arrive via a gatehouse that was constructed prior to the opening of the school. This historic building served as the convent for the Dominican Sisters who reside on the school grounds. A new convent was constructed on the campus to allow for the Sisters to live in an atmosphere more conducive to fostering their religious life, and the 7,000 square foot plan would allow for the possibility of up to twelve Sisters to live and work at Mount de Sales. The new convent also allows for a chapel in which the Sisters can pray and occasionally welcome students and vocation visitors to join them for prayer. The new convent was completed in May 2011.
The main school building, completed in 1852, is an imposing brick edifice rising four stories on one of the highest plots of land in Catonsville, with approximately 330 x 80 square feet on each floor. The historic chapel graces the center of the school on the second and third floors. Many Mount de Sales Academy graduates are married in this chapel, which houses historic stained glass windows from Chartres, France, a beautifully restored crystal chandelier, and an historic, maintained pipe organ. The remainder of the building contains 33 classrooms, labs, art rooms, library, a music hall, and other offices. This building is emblematic of how the rich traditions of Mount de Sales Academy continue to shape and inform the academic, spiritual, emotional, and physical growth of our twenty-first century students. Click here for map.
The original school infirmary, now called Regina Keenan Knott Alumnae Hall, houses the Academy’s Development, Communications, and Alumnae departments. Restoration of this building took place in 2001 and represents the most recent facility upgrade on the campus.
The Constance and Samuel Pistorio Sports Complex, built in 1998, houses a weight room, classroom and office space, and a regulation size basketball court. This building was made possible by the generous donation of Baltimore developer, Samuel M. Pistorio.
As mentioned above, construction on a new convent for the Dominican Sisters at Mount de Sales Academy was completed in May 2011. Convent construction was part of the Anchored in Excellence; Charting our Future Capital Campaign, which was launched in June 2010. The Campaign features three phases for the further expansion of Mount de Sales Academy:
- Construction of a new convent for the Dominican Sisters at Mount de Sales Academy
- Security fencing, increased surveillance and campus lighting
- HVAC system for the 1852 Building
- Turf athletic field with built-in hillside stadium seating
- Performing Arts Center