Honors/AP Courses & Statistics
All courses at Mount de Sales are college preparatory and are designed to be academically challenging. The following describes the requirements for Honors and Advanced Placement courses:
Honors courses are offered for students who have a proven record of strong academic achievement and who are willing to accept the challenges presented in a more accelerated course.
Honors courses offered:
Geometry, Algebra I, Algebra II, Pre-calculus, English (all years), Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Marine Ecology, Anatomy and Physiology, Western Civilization, US History, Modern US History, Government, French (I – IV), Spanish (I – IV), Latin (I – IV), Concert Choir, Advanced Orchestra, Portfolio, Advanced Portfolio, Advanced Textile Design, Advanced 3-D Art, Dance IV, Chamber Ensemble.
Advanced Placement Courses
Advanced Placement courses are available for those junior and senior students who are willing to embrace a rigorous college level workload and have a proven record of strong academic achievement in Honors level courses.
- Students must meet the course requirements stated for each class and have the written approval of the department to be considered for Honors and AP courses.
- Students in AP courses are required to take examinations given by the College Board in the spring.
Advanced Placement courses offered:
American Government , Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English (Junior & Senior level), World History, French, Psychology, Spanish, Statistics, United States History and Latin.
National Merit® Scholarship Program
Students named as Commended Students placed among the top five percent of more than 1.5 million students who entered the 2015 competition by taking the 2014 Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT ®). The Semifinalists are the highest scoring entrants in each state.
10 of the 120 seniors in the class of 2016 have been named as Semifinalists or Commendees in the National Merit® Scholarship Program.
- 3 National Merit® Semifinalists
- 7 National Merit® Commended Scholars
Class of 2016
- 10 recognized by College Board as Commended Scholars in the National Merit® Scholarship Program.
- 15.8 million in scholarships, 85% of seniors received some merit scholarship (academic, leadership, athletic, art).
Advanced Placement scores
- 86% of the Class of 2016 graduated with Advanced Placement credit.
- 86% of students who took an AP exam scored a 3 or higher on at least one exam, exceeding the Maryland and global averages.
- 22 AP Scholars in the 2015-2016 school year.