A note about Math placement:
To ensure proper math placement we offer three different placement tests:
Concepts Test: for students who have/are taking Math 8 or Pre-Algebra; or for students who are currently taking Algebra 1 and need more skill acquisition. Determines Algebra 1 placement. Students MAY NOT use a calculator on this test.
Algebra Test: for students who have/are taking Algebra 1; students scoring consistently well in math. Determines placement for Algebra 1, Integrated Geometry, Geometry or Honors Geometry. Students MAY NOT use a calculator on this test.
Algebra/Geometry Test: for students who have taken Algebra I and Geometry and consistently score well. Determines if students have enough Algebra 1 and Geometry foundations to move into Honors Algebra II. Calculators allowed
Foreign Language Placement Test-CONDITIONALLY REQUIRED
This test is used to determine proper placement in the selected foreign language. Students MUST take this placement test if they have more than 1 year of experience in the language for which they are registering OR they have experience speaking/using the language frequently outside of school.
English/Social Science Placement Test
This writing sample is used to determine both English and Social Science placement into honors. Only students who meet all prerequisites should register to take the English/Social Science placement test. Prerequisites for these honors courses are:
- Scored at or above the 90th percentile on the most recent standardized test for high school placement in verbal, reading, and/or language skills
- MDSA Placement Test which shows advanced skills and ability in writing
- Consistent A average in Language Arts and History courses
Science Placement Test
This test is used to determine Science placement into honors. Only students who meet all prerequisites should register to take the Science placement test. Prerequisites for Honors Biology are:
- Above-average Math and Cognitive scores on HSPT standardized testing
- MDSA Science Placement Test which shows advanced skills in science analysis
- Consistent A average in Science and Language Arts courses