Mount de Sales is proud that over 50 percent of our students participate in the Athletic Program. They are the heart and soul of our teams, showing team spirit, dedication, and exemplary sportsmanship. Affirming that sports build strength, character, and pride in the individual, her team, and her school, Mount de Sales Academy offers 13 sports and a total of 24 athletic teams. The Constance and Samuel Pistorio Sports Complex houses the competition and practice area for basketball and volleyball. It is also home to physical education classes, an athletic training room, fitness room, and the Athletic Department's administrative offices.
“Sports, properly directed, develops character, makes a man courageous, a generous loser, and a gracious victor; it refines the senses, gives intellectual penetration, and steels the will to endurance.”
- Pope Pius XII
Athletics are an extension of the education mission in which they serve as a function of and compliment to the academic institution. Stressing the values of fair play and good sportsmanship. Encouraging teamwork as an important party of each student's growth toward maturity. Promoting school spirit as a way to develop a sense of pride in the institution and community. Athletics provide a unique opportunity to nurture respect for our athletes, opponents, fans, and coaches on the field as a means of initiating Christ in our day to day lives.
The Sailors are charter members of the Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland (IAAM), a nationally recognized athletic organization made up of 31 private schools. The IAAM is the top high school athletic conference in Metropolitan Baltimore. As consistent challengers for regular season and tournament championships, our Sailor teams regularly rank among the area's best public and private high schools. Our athletes are frequently recognized by the media with All-Baltimore County, All-Metro Baltimore, and the IAAM League All-Star status.
From 2010 to 2015, a total of 104 Mount de Sales Academy Athletes from 12 sports have been named IAAM All Conference. A total of 19 Mount de Sales Academy Athletes from 7 sports were named to a Baltimore Sun All-Metro Team.
In addition, several Mount de Sales Academy Teams have competed in and won the following Championships:
- Fall 2015 Volleyball IAAM A Conference Champions
- Spring 2015 Golf IAAM B Conference Champions
- Fall 2013 Field Hockey IAAM B Conference Champions
- Fall 2013 Tennis IAAM B Conference Champions
- Spring 2013 Softball IAAM A Conference Champions
- Fall 2012 Tennis IAAM B Conference Champions
- Fall 2011 Field Hockey IAAM B Conference Champions
- Fall 2011 Cross Country IAAM B Conference Champions
- Fall 2010 Volleyball A Conference Champions
- Fall 2010 Cross Country B Conference Champions
- Volleyball A Conference Champions 2015
2015-2016 Runner-Up Conference Acknowledgements
- Cross Country A Conference Runner-Up 2015
- Indoor Track and Field A Conference Runner-Up 2015-2016
- Track and Field A Conference Runner-Up 2016
- Softball A Conference Runner-Up 2016
- Cheer placed first in the Mid-Atlantic Battle 2015-2016 and received a paid bid to the Battle at the Capitol where they also won first place 2015-2106.
We are proud to announce that Mr. Pete Waskiewicz was named as the 2012 – 2013 Baltimore Sun All-Metro Softball Coach of the Year.
Every year we have graduating seniors in nearly every sport who intend to continue their athletic careers in college, many of them on athletic scholarships. Past graduates have competed and continue to compete at all collegiate levels. Our graduates have been members of national championship teams as well as recipients of individual, national, and conference honors.
Celebrating over 50 years of interscholastic athletics, Mount de Sales Academy Athletics looks forward to a continuing tradition of contributing to the mind, body, and spirit of our students.